Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Fort Worth Zoo

 Hello everyone!

Long time no write :D Like I said before, I still have lots of pictures and experiences to share with you guys so I'll continue posting even though I am now home in Weymouth.




Bonobo with some crazy biceps


Cheetah!


I never thought Black Rhinos were cute, but these guys changed my mind.



Peek-a-boo! :)


Judging 


Baby Bonobo!


Asian Elephant


Giraffes! <3


1. Baby elephants ^_^
2. We got to see keepers giving dirt baths
3. I want to have this job at some point





White tiger


Malayan Tiger


African Lion


Adolescent male, the keeper said he was about 2 and a half. Older than Wali, with about half the mane :P




I love penguins


Coatimundi


Sleepy ocelot


Jaguar


Ring-tailed lemurs :D


Silverback gorilla



Rachel with a gigantic alligator


Sliding along the sand

Okay, so super heavy picture post, but with going to the zoo what am I supposed to do? :) I really liked this zoo, but one major thing Rachel and I noticed was the lack of space in some of the enclosures. They look great with huge water features, but that's really it. The lions and tigers specifically have very little space to walk around. The enclosure is surrounded by water to make sure they can't reach the people, which is totally fine, but the areas they had to roam around in was very small. I don't know if I didn't see areas where they could go inside, but it didn't seem like there was any extra space. 

That is one of the major reasons I want to work in zoos. I really would like to get a position and work my way up until I am able to reform how enclosures are built or improved.  I know that people want to be able to see where the cats are, but that is not the best thing for the cats. On one hand, they are cats and they do sleep a lot of the time, but they should still have the option for moving around and playing in the open spaces if they wanted it. Just some of my thoughts. 


I'll be updating in a couple days with pictures from my last week/last day and some of the stuff we were doing.
Until then, have a great day! 
Feel free to comment your opinions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment